- •Squats detected OA related impairments in movement patterns and muscle activity.
- •Males with OA implemented a hip-dominant strategy, decreasing knee joint loading.
- •Females with OA had the highest muscle activation throughout the squat.
- •Sex differences in hip and knee frontal plane kinematics and kinetics were present.
- •Hip joint power was lower in females during squat descent compared to males.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The effect of osteoarthritis on disability and health care use in Canada.J Rheumatol Suppl. 1995; 43: 19-22
- The Increasing Need for Nonoperative Treatment of Patients With Osteoarthritis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001; 385: 36-45https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200104000-00008
- The impact of arthritis in Canada: Today and over the next 30 years.Arthritis Alliance Canada. 2011; : 1-52
- The effects of specific medical conditions on the functional limitations of elders in the Framingham Study.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 351-358https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.84.3.351
- Quadriceps femoris muscle weakness and activation failure in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.J Orthop Res. 2004; 22: 110-115https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00154-2
- The effects of joint damage on muscle function, proprioception and rehabilitation.Manual Therapy. 1997; 2: 11-17
- Disease-specific gender differences among total knee arthroplasty candidates.J Bone Joint Surgery Am Vol. 2007; 89: 2327-2333https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.01144
Jones H, Reed B. Why should the water and sanitation sector consider disabled people. WELL—Resource Centre Network for Water, Sanitation and Environmental Health, 2005.
- Mobility Difficulties and Physical Activity as Predictors of Mortality and Loss of Independence in the Community-Living Older Population.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 493-498https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2000.tb04994.x
- Lower Extremity Biomechanics During A Regular and Counterbalanced Squat.J Strength Condition Res. 2012; 26: 2417-2425
- Kinematic, kinetic and EMG patterns during downward squatting.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2008; 18: 134-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2006.07.010
- Motor strategies for initiating downward-oriented movements during standing in adults.Exp Brain Res. 2004; 158: 18-27https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-004-1875-4
- Three-Dimensional Knee Joint Moments During Performance of the Bodyweight Squat: Effects of Stance Width and Foot Rotation.J Appl Biomech. 2013; 29: 33-43
- Squatting Exercises in Older Adults: Kinematic and Kinetic Comparisons:.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 635-643
- Comparison of Hamstring and Quadriceps Femoris Electromyographic Activity Between Men and Women During a Single-Limb Squat on Both a Stable and Labile Surface.J Strength Condition Res. 2007; 21: 105-111https://doi.org/10.1519/00124278-200702000-00020
- Differences in Kinematics and Electromyographic Activity Between Men and Women during the Single-Legged Squat.Am J Sports Med. 2003; 31: 449-456
- Comparison of lower extremity kinematics and hip muscle activation during rehabilitation tasks between sexes.J Athletic Train. 2010; 45: 181-190https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-45.2.181
- Gender differences in trunk, pelvis and lower limb kinematics during a single leg squat.Gait & Posture. 2012; 36: 461-466https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2012.04.006
- Sex differences in trunk, pelvis, hip and knee kinematics and eccentric hip torque in adolescents.Clin Biomech. 2014; 29: 1063-1069https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2014.08.004
- Sex differences during an overhead squat assessment.J Appl Biomech. 2015; 31: 244-249
- Sit-to-stand alterations in advanced knee osteoarthritis.Gait & Posture. 2012; 36: 68-72
- Kinematics and knee muscle activation during sit-to-stand movement in women with knee osteoarthritis.Clin Biomech. 2015; 30: 599-607
- Impaired proprioception and osteoarthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 1997; 9: 253-258
- Balance impairments in individuals with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis : a comparison with matched controls using clinical tests.Rheumatology. 2002; 41: 1388-1394
- Neuromuscular characteristics of individuals displaying excessive medial knee displacement.J Athl Train. 2012; 47: 525-536https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-47.5.10
- Muscle strength and flexibility characteristics of people displaying excessive medial knee displacement.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1323-1328
- Development of recommendations for SEMG sensors and sensor placement procedures.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2000; 10: 361-374https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(00)00027-4
- Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS) – validation and comparison to the WOMAC in total knee replacement.Health Quality Life Outcomes. 2003; 1: 17https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-1-17
- Lower limb biomechanics during gait do not return to normal following total hip arthroplasty.Gait & Posture. 2010; 32: 269-273https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2010.05.007
- Vector field statistical analysis of kinematic and force trajectories.J Biomech. 2013; 46: 2394-2401https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.07.031
- Is rectus femoris really a part of quadriceps?: Assessment of rectus femoris function during gait in able-bodied adults.Gait & Posture. 2004; 20: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(03)00074-2
- The influence of muscles on knee flexion during the swing phase of gait.J Biomech. 1996; 29: 723-733https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(95)00144-1
- Human Lower Limb Muscles: an Evaluation of Weight and Fiber Size.Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn. 2003; 80: 47-56https://doi.org/10.2535/ofaj.80.47
- Muscle Architecture in Relation to Function.J Biomech. 1991; 24: 53-65
- The influence of abnormal hip mechanics on knee injury: a biomechanical perspective.J Orthopaedic Sports Phys Therapy. 2010; 40: 42-51https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2010.3337
- Strategies for Enhancing Proprioception and Neuromuscular Control of the Knee.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002; 402: 76-94
- Muscle Weakness Causes Joint Degeneration in Rabbits.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2009; 17: 1228-1235https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2009.03.017
- The Role of Muscles in Joint Degeneration and Osteoarthritis.J Biomech. 2007; 40: 54-63https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2007.03.001
- Altered hamstring-quadriceps muscle balance in patients with knee osteoarthritis.Clin Biomech. 2005; 20: 97-104
- The influence of mechanical compression on the induction of osteoarthritis-related biomarkers in articular cartilage explants.Osteoarthritis cartilage/OARS, Osteoarthritis Res Soc. 2005; 13: 1092-1099https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2005.07.003
- A study of the gait characteristics of patients with chronic osteoarthritis of the knee.Disabil Rehabil. 2002; 24: 275-280https://doi.org/10.1080/09638280110087098
- Lower extremity joint kinematics during stair climbing in knee osteoarthritis.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 516-524https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181f257be
- The Role of Neuromuscular Changes in Aging and Knee Osteoarthritis on Dynamic Postural Control.Aging Disease. 2013; 4: 84-99
- Falls in the elderly: part II balance, strength, and flexibility.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1990; 71: 739-741
- Effect of High-Intensity Strength-Training on Functional Measures of Balance Ability in Balance-Impaired Older Adults.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2005; 28: 582-590https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2005.08.013
- Knee biomechanics of the dynamic squat exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33: 127-141
- Muscles that do not cross the knee contribute to the knee adduction moment and tibiofemoral compartment loading during gait.J Orthop Res. 2012; 30: 1586-1595
- Hip Muscle Strengthening for Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review of Literature.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2020; 43: 89-98
- Hip strengthening reduces symptoms but not knee load in people with medial knee osteoarthritis and varus malalignment: a randomised controlled trial.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010; 18: 621-628
- Power at hip, knee and ankle joints are compromised in women with mild and moderate knee osteoarthritis.Clin Biomech. 2012; 27: 1038-1044https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2012.08.001
- Strength, Power and Related Functional Ability of Healthy People Aged 65–89 Years.Age Ageing. 1994; 23: 371-377https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/23.5.371
- Falls among older persons: a public health perspective.Annu Rev Public Health. 1992; 13: 489-508https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pu.13.050192.002421
- Frequencies and circumstances of falls in the National Institute for Longevity Sciences, Longitudinal Study of Aging (NILS-LSA).J Epidemiol/Japan Epidemiol Assoc. 2000; 10: S90-S94https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.10.1sup_90
- Disturbance type and gait speed affect fall direction and impact location.J Biomech. 2001; 34: 309-317https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9290(00)00200-1
- The influence of arthrogenous muscle inhibition on quadriceps rehabilitation of patients with early, unilateral osteoarthritic knees.Rheumatology. 1993; 32: 127-131