- •We describe our newly-developed ultrasound-guided medial collateral ligament bursa injection.
- •Using fresh cadaver knees, we describe the anatomical target and precise technique of this treatment method and confirm its accuracy.
- •We also evaluate preliminary clinical outcomes in 50 patients with medial knee joint pain without knee osteoarthritis.
- •Ultrasound-guided medial collateral ligament bursa injection technique is safe, reproducible, and effective for symptomatic medial meniscus degenerative tears.
Abbreviations:US (Ultrasound), MCL (Medial collateral ligament), MM (Medial meniscus)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Genicular artery embolization to improve pain and function in early-stage knee osteoarthritis – 24-Month pilot study results.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2020; 31: 1453-1458
- Incidental meniscal findings on knee MRI in middle-aged and elderly persons.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1108-1115
- Surgical management of degenerative meniscus lesions: The 2016 ESSKA Meniscus Consensus.Joints. 2017; 25: 335-346
- When taking a step back is a veritable leap forward. Reversing decades of arthroscopy for managing joint pain: five reasons that could explain declining rates of common arthroscopic surgeries.Br J Sports Med. 2020; 54: 1312-1313
- The orthopaedic community does not oppose the non-surgical treatment of degenerative meniscal lesions.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021; 29: 329-332https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-020-06411-9
- MR imaging of the medial collateral ligament bursa: Findings in patients and anatomic data derived from cadavers.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 177: 911-917
- Arthroscopic partial meniscectomy versus physical therapy for degenerative meniscus lesions: How robust is the current evidence? A critical systematic review and qualitative synthesis.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 2699-2708https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2018.04.018
- Arthroscopic partial meniscectomy versus placebo surgery for a degenerative meniscus tear: A 2-year follow-up of the randomised controlled trial.Ann Rheum Dis. 2018; 77: 188-195
- Arthroscopic partial meniscectomy for a degenerative meniscus tear: a 5 year follow-up of the placebo-surgery controlled FIDELITY (Finnish Degenerative Meniscus Lesion Study) trial.Br J Sports Med. 2020; 54: 1332-1339
- The Meniscal Grammar Signs: Comma and Apostrophe Signs for Characterization of a Displaced Fragment in the Meniscal Recess.Arthroscopy Techniques. 2019; 8: e727
- Knee arthroscopy versus conservative management in patients with degenerative knee disease: A systematic review.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e016114
- Application of minimal important differences in degenerative knee disease outcomes: A systematic review and case study to inform BMJ Rapid Recommendations.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e015587https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-015587
- The meniscal comma sign: Characterization and treatment of a displaced fragment in the meniscotibial recess.Orthopedics. 2018; 41https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20180501-01
- Degenerative medial meniscus tear with a displaced flap into the meniscotibial recess and tibial peripheral reactive bone edema presents good results with arthroscopic surgical treatment.Arthroscopy. 2021; 37: 3307-3315
- Clinical outcomes of transcatheter arterial embolization for chronic knee pain: Mild-to-moderate versus severe knee osteoarthritis.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2019; 42: 1530-1536https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-019-02289-4
- Transcatheter arterial embolization as a treatment for medial knee pain in patients with mild to moderate osteoarthritis.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2015; 38: 336-343https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-014-0944-8
- Midterm clinical outcomes and MR imaging changes after transcatheter arterial embolization as a treatment for mild to moderate radiographic knee osteoarthritis resistant to conservative treatment.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017; 28: 995-1002https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvir.2017.02.033
- Mechanisms and targets of angiogenesis and nerve growth in osteoarthritis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2012; 8: 390-398https://doi.org/10.1038/nrrheum.2012.80
- Ultrasound-guided perimeniscal injections: Anatomical description and feasibility study.J Ultrasound Med. 2022; 41: 217-224
- Ultrasound guided injection of a painful knee osteoarthritis with medial meniscus extrusion: A case series study.Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2017; 18: 331-337https://doi.org/10.11138/mltj/2017.7.2.331
- Ultrasound-guided treatment of extrusive medial meniscopathy: A 3-step protocol.J Ultrasound Med. 2020; 39: 805-810https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.15142
- Meniscus-targeted injections for chronic knee pain due to meniscal tears or degenerative fraying: A retrospective study.J Ultrasound Med. 2019; 38: 2853-2859https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.14987