- •Chondral defects can be a particularly challenging clinical presentation and can predispose patients to developing degenerative joint disease, affecting their quality of life as well as sport activity and aspirations.
- •Internal fixation for acute chondral fractures is an effective method to treat acute chondral fractures in both adolescents and young adults that want to get back to an active lifestyle.
- •Patients report no complications, good recovery time and satisfactory outcomes for pain and activity level.
Chondral defects can be a particularly challenging clinical presentation. Because damaged cartilage does not heal itself, an evolution of multiple new surgical treatments designed specifically for cartilage repair and restoration have been introduced. Internal fixation has demonstrated good benefits in case reports and small qualitative studies. Our systematic review aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of internal fixation in the management of acute chondral fractures.
A comprehensive search strategy was carried out using the NICE Healthcare Databases Advanced Search. The systematic review was prospectively registered with PROSPERO (CRD42022302976) and was performed in accordance with the PRISMA guidelines.
Eleven studies consisting of fifty patients were included in this systematic review. Seventy-eight percent of patients showed good results and twenty-two percent of the cases had excellent results. Ninety-two percent of patients returned to preoperative level of sport activities at the end of the follow-up period. All of them returned to the original activity level without pain, stiffness, or restriction of movement after 1 year latest. The majority of patients had no complications at all, good recovery time and satisfactory outcomes for pain and activity level. The only complications presented were patella instability and quadriceps weakness.
Internal fixation for acute chondral fractures is an effective method to treat acute chondral fractures in both adolescents and young adults that want to get back to an active lifestyle. However, more data examining the long-term functional status, quality of life (QoL), recovery post-injury and pain free sports activity involvement are needed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Knee
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Articular cartilage defects in 1,000 knee arthroscopies.Arthroscopy. 2002; 18: 730-734
- Cartilage injuries: a review of 31,516 knee arthroscopies.Arthroscopy. 1997; 13: 456-460
- Focal cartilage defects in the knee impair quality of life as much as severe osteoarthritis: a comparison of knee injury and osteoarthritis outcome score in 4 patient categories scheduled for knee surgery.Am J Sports Med. 2010; 38: 231-237
- Management of focal cartilage defects in the knee: is ACI the answer?.Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2011; 69: 63-72
- Cryopreserved, Thin, Laser-Etched Osteochondral Allograft maintains the functional components of articular cartilage after 2 years of storage.J Orthop Surg Res. 2020; 15https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-020-02049-y
- Terapie rozsáhlých chondrálních defektů pately po akutní luxaci pately [Treatment of Extensive Chondral Defects of the Patella after Patellar Dislocation].Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2017; 84: 441-447
- Treatment of Articular Cartilage Defects: Focus on Tissue Engineering.In Vivo. 2018; 32: 1289-1300https://doi.org/10.21873/invivo.11379
- Current and novel approaches to treating chondral lesions.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 120-125https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.H.01390
- Cartilage lesions in patellofemoral dislocations: Incidents/ locations/when to treat.Sports Med Arthrosc. 2012; 20: 181-186
- Second-look arthroscopy after arthroscopy-assisted treatment of tibial plateau fractures.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007; 15: 747-752https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-006-0276-6
CASP U. CASP qualitative checklist; 2013.
- Healing of a chondral fragment of the knee in an adolescent after internal fixation. A case report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 2741-2746
- Fixation of Acute Chondral Fractures in Adolescent Knees.Cartilage. 2021; 13: 293S-301S
- Refixation of large chondral fragments on the weight-bearing area of the knee joint: a report of two cases.Arthroscopy. 1994; 10: 630-633
- Fixation of chondral fracture of the weight-bearing area of the lateral femoral condyle in an adolescent.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014; 22: 1284-1287
- Open Reduction Internal Fixation of Isolated Chondral Fragments Without Osseous Attachment in the Knee: A Case Series.Orthop J Sports Med. 2017; 5 (2325967117696281)
- A Case Series of Successful Repair of Articular Cartilage Fragments in the Knee.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 2589-2595
- Fixation of Traumatic Chondral-Only Fragments of the Knee in Pediatric and Adolescent Athletes: A Retrospective Multicenter Report.Orthop J Sports Med. 2018; 6 (2325967117753140)
- All Arthroscopic Suture-Bridge Fixation of a Delaminated Chondral Fragment.Univ PA Orthop J. 2011; 21
- Chondral fragment of the lateral femoral trochlea of the knee in adolescents.Knee. 2012; 19: 719-723
- Bone peg fixation of a large chondral fragment in the weight-bearing portion of the lateral femoral condyle in an adolescent: a case report.J Med Case Rep. 2014; 8
- Chondral fracture of the lateral femoral condyle in children with different treatment methods.J Pediatr Orthop B. 2016; 25: 43-47
- Articular cartilage defects: study of 25,124 knee arthroscopies.Knee. 2007; 14: 177-182
- Osteochondral fracture of the lateral femoral condyle.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1951; 33: 262-264
- Osteochondral fractures of the lateral femoral condyle: a result of indirect violence to the knee.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1978; 60-B: 199-202
- Acute dislocation of the patella with osteochondral fracture: a review of eighteen cases.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1976; 58: 237-240
- Microfracture techniques in the treatment of osteochondral injuries.Clin Sports Med. 2001; 20: 365-378
- Articular cartilage repair.Am J Sports Med. 1998; 26: 309-324
- Articular cartilage. Part II: degeneration and osteoarthrosis, repair, regeneration, and transplantation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997; 79: 612-632
- Differences in repair responses between immature and mature cartilage.Clin Orthop. 2001; 391: S142-S152
Published online: October 15, 2022
Accepted: August 8, 2022
Received in revised form: July 11, 2022
Received: March 27, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier B.V.