- •1 in 36 patients undergo manipulation after primary total knee arthroplasty.
- •Manipulation is most commonly performed within 3 months (70%).
- •Risk factors for manipulation are younger age, female sex, Black or Hispanic race.
- •Robotic and computer-assisted TKA are associated with less risk of manipulation.
- •Though infrequent, manipulation may be associated with mechanical complications.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Intermediate and long-term quality of life after total knee replacement.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2015; 97: 156-168https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.00372
- Stiffness after total knee arthroplasty. Prevalence of the complication and outcomes of revision.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1479-1484
- Manipulation with prolonged epidural analgesia for treatment of TKA complicated by arthrofibrosis.Surg Technol Int. 2006; 15: 221-224
- Manipulation Under Anesthesia and Stiffness After Total Knee Arthroplasty.JBJS Rev. 2018; 6: e2-ehttps://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.RVW.17.00113
- Stiffness after total knee arthroplasty.J Knee Surg. 2015; 28: 119-126https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0034-1396079
- Arthrofibrosis associated with total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2017; 32: 2604-2611https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2017.02.005
- Arthrofibrosis after total knee arthroplasty.Orthop Clin North Am. 2019; 50: 269-279
- Current modes of failure in TKA: infection, instability, and stiffness predominate.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 2197-2200https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-014-3540-y
- Robotic-arm–assisted knee arthroplasty associated with favorable in-hospital metrics and exponentially rising adoption compared with manual knee arthroplasty.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021; 29: e1328-e1342https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-21-00146
- Not all robotic-assisted total knee arthroplasty are the same.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021; 29: 45-59https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-20-00654
- Image-free robotic-assisted total knee arthroplasty improves implant alignment accuracy: a cadaveric study.J Arthroplasty. 2022; 37: 795-801
- MAKO CT-based robotic arm-assisted system is a reliable procedure for total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review.Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021; 29: 3585-3598
- Robotic arm-assisted total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 2002-2006https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2018.01.060
- Robotic technology in total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review.EFORT Open Rev. 2019; 4: 611-617https://doi.org/10.1302/2058-5241.4.190022
- Risk factors, outcomes, and timing of manipulation under anesthesia after total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 245-249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2017.08.002
- Manipulation under anesthesia for stiffness after total knee arthroplasty.Knee Surg Relat Res. 2015; 27: 233-239https://doi.org/10.5792/ksrr.2015.27.4.233
- Manipulation under anesthesia rates in technology-assisted versus conventional-instrumentation total knee arthroplasty.Surg Technol Int. 2020; 36: 336-340
- Total knee arthroplasty: improving outcomes with a multidisciplinary approach.J Multidiscip Healthc. 2018; 11: 63-73https://doi.org/10.2147/JMDH.S140550
- Risk factors for manipulation after total knee arthroplasty: a pooled electronic health record database study.J Arthroplasty. 2014; 29: 2036-2038https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2014.05.001
- Manipulation under anesthesia after total knee arthroplasty is associated with an increased incidence of subsequent revision surgery.J Arthroplasty. 2015; 30: 72-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2015.01.061
- Long-term outcomes of MUA for stiffness in primary TKA.J Knee Surg. 2013; 26: 405-410https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0033-1341579
Overview of the State Inpatient Databases (SID) [Internet]. HCUP; 2021. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/sidoverview.jsp.
Overview of the state ambulatory surgery and services databases (SASD) [Internet]. HCUP; 2021. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/sasdoverview.jsp.
Elixhauser Comorbidity Software Refined for ICD-10-CM [Internet]. HCUP; 2021. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/comorbidityicd10/comorbidity_icd10.jsp#overview.
- The elixhauser comorbidity method outperforms the charlson index in predicting inpatient death after orthopaedic surgery.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 2878-2886https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-014-3686-7
- Manipulation under anesthesia after total knee: who still requires a revision arthroplasty?.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 35: S348-S351https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2020.03.009
- Manipulation under anesthesia following total knee arthroplasty: a comprehensive review of literature.Musculoskelet Surg. 2018; 102: 223-230https://doi.org/10.1007/s12306-018-0537-9
- Risk factors for manipulation under anaesthesia after total knee arthroplasty.Bone Joint J. 2020; 102-B: 66-72
- Do various factors affect the frequency of manipulation under anesthesia after primary total knee arthroplasty?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015; 473: 143-147https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-014-3772-x
- Robotic total knee arthroplasty vs conventional total knee arthroplasty: a nationwide database study.Arthroplast Today. 2020; 6: 1001-1008.e3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.artd.2020.09.014
- Manipulation under anaesthesia after primary total knee arthroplasty.Bone Joint J. 2021; 103-B: 126-130
- Manipulation under anesthesia after knee arthroplasty is associated with worse long-term clinical outcomes and survivorship.J Knee Surg. 2021; 34: 739-744